Extended Day Care Program
St. Dunstan Extended Day Care (EDC) Program will provide a warm, nurturing environment for children needing day care before and/or after school hours. We recognize that our Extended Day Care is meant to serve our parents and children within a Christian setting; thus, giving our school community the experience of a safe, productive, and responsible child-care program.
Working together as a team, St. Dunstan EDC will:
- provide an atmosphere that is supportive and structured so that each child can spend his/her before and/or after school hours in a safe and constructive environment.
- promote each child’s positive self-awareness and self-esteem.
- promote each child’s awareness of and respect for social skills.
- promote the importance of mutual respect, understanding, caring and getting along with others.
- instill the necessity for understanding the rules and regulations governing their protection and safety.
- provide snacks for children after school.
This program is open to any child enrolled in St. Dunstan Catholic School. However, parents must enroll their child individually with the EDC by filling out the Registration Form.
- supervised play.
After School Program
- homework, study time (for 2nd to 8th Grade ONLY).
- circle snack time.
- indoor/outdoor activities: ball games, board games, arts, and crafts.
UNIFORM AND CLOTHING
All EDC students may bring a change of clothing for after school care. Each child is responsible for his/her own school uniform and shoes. Therefore, it is essential that all uniform items be marked with the child’s first and last names. A labeled backpack or sports bag should be used to safeguard the child’s uniform clothing and personal belongings.
Nutritious snacks and beverage will be served daily. Parents are free to donate snacks. Any donation is greatly appreciated.
The EDC is open from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and from dismissal until 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except the minimum days preceding Parish Festival, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and summer vacation. EDC is closed on holidays during vacation periods. EDC will be closed on the first three days and last day of school, Halloween, and the end of the year picnic. Extended Care is not available for kindergarten after their graduation as they are dismissed right after the ceremony. STUDENTS ON SCHOOL GROUNDS BEFORE 7:45 a.m. OR 15 MINUTES AFTER DISMISSAL WILL BE SENT TO EXTENDED CARE. Failure to pick up your child at 6:00 p.m. will result in a $2.00 charge each minute after 6:00 p.m. per child. This charge is due immediately to staff member on duty. Please call and leave messages at (650) 697-2231 or (650) 697-8119.
Extended care forms are due by August 1st. A yearly registration fee of $60.00 will be billed to you on your first invoice; hourly is $6.00 per child for more than 10 hours a month of extended care; drop-in fee is $7.00 per hour/per child for 10 hours or less per month of extended care (one half hour minimum); late pick-up fee is $2.00 per MINUTE/per child, due immediately to extended care staff member on duty (excessive delinquent pick-ups may result in your child being removed from the EDC Program). Late fee of $25.00 will be charged for payments received after the 15th. Return check fee of $30.00 will be charged for any returned checks and further EDC payments must be paid by cashier’s check or money order. Fees will be billed on an “as used” basis. Fees will be calculated at the close of every month, and bills for EDC service will be distributed by the 5th of the following month. Fees are considered delinquent if not paid by the 15th of the month. Families who are habitually delinquent with payments may be asked to withdraw from EDC. Families will be held responsible for attorney fees and collection of costs as necessary for collection of any amount not received when due.
Children are expected to follow the basic rules of the school, outlined in this Handbook. All rules and regulations for discipline are in effect for the EDC, and students will be held accountable for them. In addition, the EDC also has a few guidelines for which the students are responsible:
- courtesy and order will be maintained during study/game/snack time, and students clean up after themselves.
- stage area and piano are off-limits at all times.
- all EDC materials/equipment are to be treated with respect and care.
- nothing is to be thrown against the windows or walls.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The following policies and procedures are listed below and full support and cooperation is expected from our EDC families:
- children arrive at EDC located in the Parish Center. Staff member signs in each child.
- when a child is dismissed, only the parent/legal guardian can sign out his/her child. Any authorized adult relative or neighbor may sign out a child if this person is registered on the Extended Day Care Emergency form.
- a photo ID is required when picking up a child.
- in the event of an emergency, children may be released to the parent/s or to a designated adult authorized by the parent/legal guardian.
- parents may use the EDC Program on a Drop-in basis. Parents call the EDC (650) 697-2231 or the school (650) 697-8119 in the morning and notify the staff. Drop-ins must be in EDC within 15 minutes after dismissal - unless otherwise prearranged by the parents and EDC staff.
- it is the responsibility of the parent to see that students are picked up by the designated closing time at 6:00 p.m. After 6:00 p.m., the late charge is $2.00 per minute per child due immediately to staff member on duty.
- all children who come to school before 7:45 a.m. or are in the schoolyard 15 minutes after dismissal are sent to the EDC and their parents charged.
- there are no “in/out” privileges. Once students leave the school premises, they may not return for extended care.
Parent responsibilities are listed below. Parents’ completion of the EDC Registration form signifies their agreement to abide by all the EDC policies, procedures, and practices. Therefore, it is important that parents read everything listed below:
- my child is not allowed to come and go freely from St. Dunstan EDC. A parent or authorized person must accompany the child.
- my student will be checked in each day, and I (or an authorized adult) must sign them out each day.
- I must maintain communication with the program director about my child and keep her informed of any pertinent changes.
- it is my responsibility to notify EDC if I do not receive my statement by the 5th of the month so a duplicate can be made.
- prior to making a bid on a school fundraiser silent action item, any delinquent accounts owed to the school must paid in full, including money owed to the Extended Care Program. Failure to do so will result in the respective bid being disallowed.
- if a medical emergency arises, St. Dunstan EDC will first attempt to contact the parent. If a parent cannot be reached, St. Dunstan EDC will contact the authorized person indicated on the emergency form. If the emergency is such that immediate medical attention is necessary, 911 will be called and the child most likely will be taken to an Emergency Care Facility. Parents will be responsible for all medical costs incurred except for what is covered by the Student Accident Insurance Program.
- the St. Dunstan EDC will operate on all regular school days, early dismissal days, as well as minimum days preceding vacation periods, except the Christmas Holiday, Parish Festival, Thanksgiving, Easter, and summer vacation. EDC will be closed on the first three days and last day of school, Halloween, and the end of the year picnic. Extended Care is not available for kindergarten after their graduation as they are dismissed right after the ceremony. EDC will not be open on school holidays or during major vacations.
- the school will notify parents of any changes in the program through the school website.
Read PARENT/STUDENT HANDBOOK for more information